Thursday, 6 March 2014

Post#8: ISU Novel: The Color Purple

The Color Purple is basically a novel telling the story of Celie. Celie is a black women, that lives in southern America. She has to face many obstacles, like rasicm, being abused by a man who is believed to be her farther and is just known under the name Mr.____. When she turns 14, she is forced into marriage. Her children also get taken away. From what I have read so far, Celie and Aminata from the Book of Negroes are in a very similar position and, there is no doubt that both of them face a ton of Obstacles in their lives. The structure of the book is also similar, because the whole story is told about the character and focuses only on their lives. I am exited to finish the book and to write about the connection to the book of Negroes.








4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book sounds really interesting and plot wise similar to The Book of Negroes. I am sure there are a lot of similarities to compare about lifestyle and obstacles they had to overcome. However, I do not think that a compare/contrast essay on a topic this obvious would be good enough to get a high mark. Therefore, I would like to suggest that you dig deeper. Furthermore I like that you included the cover-picture of the novel you chose. It really gives one the possibility to interpret the cover. I'd love to see another post with more details about your novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard this book is a good one, but I didn't know much about it until I read your synopsis. It sounds very interesting and I'm curious to see how you compare/contrast this book with The Book of Negroes. Obviously the plots and protagonists are similar but the themes and motifs could be tricky to compare. I might suggest that you specifically discuss the protagonist characters, because they seem so similar.

    ReplyDelete